I N T E R S E C T I O N A L W O M E N A B R O A D
Women are diverse and intersectional. Always. We recognize that these different intersections in womanhood will provide for very different experiences while abroad, as opposed to folx with other gender identities. You may have questions about safety, meeting other women, cultural norms, traveling solo, Black hair care products, or inclusive sports teams. Check out the resources in this section that bring together the diversity of female experiences in study abroad, as well as networks where you can connect with other like-minded women.
Blogs & Articles
- On Her Own: solo women travellers share top tips, National Geographic
- Sojournies talks to us about Black female solo travel, Sojournies blog
- Reflections on Studying Abroad as a Muslim Woman, Diversity Abroad student blog
- Intersectionality: An Account by a Minority Student with a Disability Studying Abroad, Diversity Abroad student blog
- Women in Travel—Feel Empowered & Conquer Your Travels, GoAbroad
- Helpful Menstrual Cup Pros and Cons for Travel will answer all your questions about travelling with a menstrual cup.
- Self-Care While You Study Abroad, Her Campus
- Once Upon a Journey is a Lesbian travel & lifestyle blog written by Roxanne and Maartje, a Dutch couple based in Amsterdam.
Cultural & Social
- Devermut are two of the biggest queer-feminist influencers-activists in the Spanish speaking world and they’re are based right here in Barcelona.
- Moderna del Pueblo draws and writes about hot topics from an queer-feminist lens.
- La Raposa is a Feminist & LGBTQ+ bookstore and café in Poblesec.
- Ca La Dona is Barcelona’s leading umbrella organization for feminist groups, home to hundreds of organizations, and the only women-only space in the city.
- Afrofemkoop is a Black Feminist Community that offers events, debates, book clubs and a space to share, network, lead and create!
- Afroféminas is Black feminist media, bookstore, magazine, social media presence offering reflections and information in Spanish about afrodescent women.
- La Bonne, Centre Cultural de Dones Francesca Bonnemaison is an intersectional, feminist organization that organizes different types of creative events.
- Women in Tech Barcelona is a list of the top 20+ meetups, programs and people.
- Barcelona International Lesbian and Gay Film Festival
- SheSaidSo.so is a global independent community of women and gender minorities in the music industry with chapters around the world.
- Barcelona Women’s Network is a social organization where you can meet local and international women to network, make friends, attend events, and more!
- Fit Lovas offers indoor and outdoor training groups with an inclusive, feminist perspective, centering empowerment, self-care, body acceptance and love.
- Celebreak Women’s Soccer is an app that makes it easy to play soccer (football) how and when you want, in cities around the world. You can play in one game or on a league, join with friends or go alone! They have women’s, mixed gender and men’s groups.
Black Hair Care
- Anthony Llobet is an English hair salon with multiple locations.
- Peinando Nubes, hair care and skin products
- Itziar Nzang is a hair and makeup artist, she runs course on Black hair care
- For more on Black hair care check out our Black Barcelona Resources here.
Therapy & Care
- Care Services for Gender Violence by Barcelona City Council provides public and free health and legal services for victims of gender and sexual violence in Barcelona.
- Therapy in Barcelona mainly serves expat and immigrant communities in Barcelona. They have a team of English-speaking therapists with a wide range of identities, including Latinx, Black, Indian, Arab and more. Their team of therapists vary in specializations, of which include anxiety, depression, living abroad, LGBTQ+, ADHD, physical disabilities, health, identity and more.
- Office for Non-Discrimination run by the city hall offers free services to anyone living in or visiting the city to file a grievance and receive support in English, whether psychosocial, emotional or legal.
Blogs, Articles & Podcasts
- Studying Abroad as a Woman of Color, IFSA student blog
- 6 Ridiculous Questions I Got While Studying Abroad as a Latina, GoAbroad
- The Receipts Podcast is a fun, honest podcast fronted by three girls who are willing to talk about anything and everything. You can expect unadulterated girl talk with no filter.
- A Latina in London is a 7-minute youtube video blog by a Mexican-American woman that you can’t miss!
- Gal-dem is an online and print magazine committed to telling the stories of people of color from marginalised genders through essays, opinion, news, arts, music, politics and lifestyle content.
- Queeries by gal-dem is a place where Fagony Aunt Aisha Mirza answers your queries about QTIBPOC health, love and life.
Cultural & Social
- The Bush Theatre is a world-famous home for new plays that discovers, nurtures and produces the best new playwrights from the widest range of backgrounds.
- Queen Mary University of London Women Student Groups range from sports to politics, law, healthcare, women of colour, STEM and more!! Check them out by filtering through “women” or “feminist”.
- Women On Board - Queen Mary University of London Society gathers women from all professional sectors to talk about how they achieved their positions.
- The 20 best Women’s Networks in London to help you achieve your goals
- Women in Tech UK
- The Feminist Library, archiving our herstories since 1975 is an intersectional and trans-inclusive library and bookshop in Peckham, London.
- Luminary Bakery is an award winning social enterprise bakery empowering women and eradicating disadvantage.
Black Hair Care
- Black Hair Care UK
- The best afro hair salons in London showcase the best hairdressers specializing in cutting, styling, weaving and braiding.
- For more on Black hair care check out our Black London Resources here.
- Female Only Gym on the Queen Mary University of London campus at the Qmotion Sport & Fitness Centre.
- Queen Mary Women’s Basketball Club
- Queen Mary Women’s Football Club
- Queen Mary Women’s Hockey Club
- Queen Mary Women’s Rugby Club
Therapy & Care
- The Feminist Therapy Centre
- WOMAN TO WOMAN offers psychotherapy for women by women in central London.